Input your search keywords and press Enter.

Health Benefits Of Acai – Everything You Need To Know

The Acai berries also known as Euterpe oleracea is a palm tree species that is cultivated for its fruit, leaves and trunk. The demand for Acai fruit rapidly increased in 21st century that’s why Acai palm is mainly cultivated for its fruit only. This tiny fruit berry is a popular superfruit in brazil where it is wildly used in meals. Acai is a delicious tropical fruit which is famous for its anti-aging and weight loss properties. Health benefits of acai fruit are countless, only few of them are listed in this article.

Health Benefits Of Acai

In 21st century Acai berries gained world wide popularity and are complimented specially for the benefits to health and wellbeing. The round dark purple fruit no doubt packs many nutrition’s. Acai berries are about 1-inch round fruit with purple skin and yellow flesh surrounding a big seed. Seed is about 80% of the fruit but still the remaining 20% flesh is plenty nutritious. Many people describe its taste as a crass between blackberry or raspberry and a piece of dark chocolate.

Fresh acai berries can last only up to 1 day so the best way to buy these is in frozen form. Not to mention in countries where this fruit is not cultivated, only frozen or powder form is available.

Acai Berries Are Plenty Nutritious

Acai berries have a unique construction for a fruit because they are rich in fat but low in sugar. A 100 grams of frozen acai fruit has following nutrition value.

Calories: 70

Fat: 5 grams

Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams

Carbs: 4 grams

Sugar: 2 grams

Fiber: 2 grams

Vitamin A: 15% of the RDI

Calcium: 2% of the RDI

According to a study based on acai collected from Venezuelan Amazon, these berries also carry few other trace minerals, including zinc, copper, chromium, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium (1).

Some strong health benefits are associated with acai plant compounds. One most prominent is anthocyanins, which gives the fruit its dark purple color and acts as antioxidant. Antioxidants help build up immune system and protect body cells against damage from free radicals.

Health Benefits Of Acai

Acai berries are powerful fruit with lots of nutrition’s helpful for the wellbeing but do not depend on them solely to fix your health alone.

1. Heart Disease:

Acai is a rich source of anthocyanin, that is strongly linked with reduction of heart attack risk. One study has shown that regular consumption of anthocyanin reduces the chance of heart attack by 32% in young and middle-aged women.

Fiber and heart friendly fats in acai also protects heart by lowing LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol.

2. Cancer:

Some foods help in stopping cancer cells from forming and spreading. Studies have suggested that acai can help prevent cancer cells by acting as natural cancer chemo preventive agent(2)(3).

3. Anti Aging:

There is no doubt that a healthy diet based on fruits, vegetables, proteins and healthy fats help with wrinkles, acne and aging. Acai berries have

4. Anti-Inflammatory

Another advantage of acai berry is the anti-inflammatory effect, it fights inflammation that is linked with a number of health issues. The anti-inflammatory properties of acai works in the same way as non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs.

5. Cognitive Health

Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds found in acai are said to be linked with cognitive health. Research suggests that diets rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory polyphenolic compounds may aid in lowering the risk of brain diseases.

Anthocyanins is also known to improve memory.